Monday, June 27, 2022

My first diver's watch - Swatch Aqua Chrono "Radar" SBB106

I was checking my posts about my watch collection and learned I have not written exclusively about my first diver's watch. I got this watch while I was in Japan back in 2001. It was on sale at a popular electronics store and I got it for the price 1,280 yen (I still remember). At the time the price was equivalent to a little more than 500 pesos! This was one of the many Swatch watches I ended up buying in Japan. Some became souvenirs to family and friends while others I retained and started my watch collection.

The watch features a velcro strap that was convenient for wearing and easy to dry after a swim. The velcro's color has faded after many years of use.

There are 3 sub dials - one for the second, another for the minute and the third for the hour. Come to think of it, the watch has 6 hands! The chronograph buttons are stuck and these Swatch watches are quite difficult to repair so I just make sure the watch runs and keeps accurate enough time.

Side view showing the crown and chronograph buttons

The other side view showing the overall condition of the head.

 
A recent wrist shot when I took out the watch for some routine inspection and this photo shoot.

Partially hidden at the bottom of the dial is the information that this watch is from the 1997 collection. This means this diver is a 25-year old watch.

The watch back showing the cleverly designed battery case and the watch to be 200m water resistant.

The last photo shows the battery compartment to be partially damaged and might have already compromised the water resistance of this watch. It has a rubber cover over the battery and secured by the metal cover but I don't want to risk damaging the watch. I still use it but not for swimming. I'm currently trying to look for the same model but couldn't find an "new old stock" so far.

-

No comments: