Friday, September 9, 2022

Fruits for the week

I am the one who goes to the wet market from our home. I actually like to go to the market on weekends - either Saturday or Sunday. That's where we get our supply of seafood and fruits. While we also buy vegetables there, nowadays we get these from the Sunday talipapa (informal market) in our village. The talipapa though doesn't usually have a lot of fruit varieties so its the wet market or the supermarket for our fruits. A constant would be bananas and I prefer the latundan variety over the lakatan/lacatan. We also usually buy saba, which can be fried or boiled. Fried saba bananas or in the form of turon or maruya are favorites at home. At times, I take fried saba as baon for lunch. It's filling and doesn't make me sleepy during the 'unholy' hours from 1:00 - 3:00 PM.

Our kasambahays like to arrange our fruits on the counter for everyone to see what's available to eat. This way, there's no excuse for not eating healthy.

We make it a point to have fruits at home. We encourage our daughter to have these instead of junk food or sweets especially in between meals (i.e., snacks). Of course, fruits are great as dessert and sometimes with the meals (fried or boiled bananas as part of breakfast). My favorites like atis and kaimito are seasonal and so were mangoes. I usually buy these at the market, too, where I have suki (favorite) vendors for our fruit supplies.

-

No comments: