Sunday, September 25, 2022

Supertyphoon Noru arrives on the eve of the 13th Anniversary of Typhoon Ketsana

On the eve of the 13th anniversary of the onslaught of Typhoon Ketsana (Ondoy to many of us who were affected back in 2009), a super typhoon is bearing down on Luzon. Registering at a Category 5 just before landfall, Noru (Karding) carries with it a lot of both wind and rain. Ketsana unloaded record rains in September 26, 2009 and perhaps, mercifully, didn't have much in terms of winds. Here's is a map of the  typhoon track from the Philippine weather bureau.


Typhoon track from the PAGASA website

 

I've experienced so many typhoons in my life. The worst experiences are those that brought severe flooding in our place in Cainta. While I look back at those times with mixed feelings, my most recent experience with the floods of Ondoy and Habagat were certainly life changing.  And so I remain awake as I do my version of a storm watch. I have trouble sleeping during these typhoons. Unfortunately, most information these days come from the internet. Unlike the coverage previous typhoons had (e.g., Yolanda) there's not much on TV about Karding. There is some coverage on radio though and I am thankful for the familiar sound of AM radio news reports about what's happening on the ground in areas affected by the typhoon. That's old school news reporting for you.

Stay safe everyone!

-

No comments: