Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Seiko SRPJ41 Kosuke Kawamura

Seiko released what it called 'Sonar' watches, which I thought was based on the dial design. There seems to be two kinds of these watches one that was a helmet design case and another had a transparent dial. Both bore 'sonar' on their dials. I have the first type, a 7018-6000 Time Sonar, which I posted here last August. I have yet to acquire the second. Seiko recently released what I would term as an instant classic and definitely highly collectible watch - the SRPJ41.

Wrist shot the first time I wore the watch on a Sunday when we usually visited my parents.

The watch features a transparent dial that evokes the similar dials of Sonar models released in the 1970s. Another prominent feature is the rotating 'rally' bezel. The combination makes for a stunning piece that's an instant classic for Seiko.

Close up of the watch and its transparent dial showing the day and date wheels. Notice, too, the red triangle mark at 12 o'clock. This is also similar to the one found in an even earlier Sonar model.

View showing the crown and bezel. The case is very similar if not the same as the SKX series divers watches with the crown located at 4 o'clock.

The other side view

The bracelet buckle also bears the signature of designer Kosuke Kawamura.

The transparent back is tinted dark and bears the signature of designed Kosuke Kawamura.

Here's a clearer photo showing the watch as 2,275 of 3,000 made for this limited edition model.

 

I seldom buy a new a watch but this was too good to pass up so I inquired about it from a vendor. Unfortunately, his stock was out as all were reserved in advance. One day I was getting a new vacuum cleaner to replace our old one, I decided to check out the Tokyo Store in the nearby mall to see if they had one. They didn't. Yet. And informed me they have not received their allocation of the limited edition watches. They asked me to leave my contact info so they can inform me of the arrival. And so I did, and the following day, I received a message from the store saying only one arrived and they could hold on only until 6PM. The rest is, as they say, history and here I am sharing photos of a keeper.

-

No comments: