Thursday, September 12, 2013

Eurobake Original Inipit

After featuring delicious yema cake from Quezon, I thought it was just right to write about another kind of cake. This one comes in bite size and despite its sweetness, is a favorite snack or merienda and goes well with coffee or perhaps even tea. Inipit, literally and roughly translated as "squeezed in between," consists of a sweet milk-based filling spread between two thin slices of cake. I think the best ones typically melt in your mouth due to the moistness of the cake. The filling can be creamy or chunky depending on the maker, but tastes much like yema though some can be buttery in consistency.

My brother was recently in Bulacan and bought a few boxes of inipit at a popular bakeshop that's famous for its old fashioned ensaymada pastry. People go to Eurobake in Malolos, Bulacan to buy their ensaymada for pasalubong (souvenir). I got to take home one box and I can say that the "original" is still better than the mass produced stuff by the more commercial bakeshops that are being sold at most supermarkets. These come in individual packs that can be given as baon (i.e., snacks for recess) for school children.

A box of Eurobake's original inipit from Malolos, Bulacan
The inipit slices are arranged inside the box and covered only by a plastic sheet. Its packaging obviously has implications on the longevity of the inipit so I quickly put the box in the refrigerator so it will last longer.
Up close, the filling looks just like yema or the sweet core of the brazo de mercedes. I think the sweetness is just right and it tasted closer to brazo than yema. There are no serving size information on the box (typical of many local products) but I suggest a maximum of 2 slices only since it is still quite potent in terms of sugar content.

As I continue my travels, I will try to feature more of these including perhaps the various kakanin that's popular around the country.
-

No comments: