Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Malate Church

I was a primary sponsor (ninong) at the wedding of the Clairvoyant's niece last August. I took it as an excuse to buy me a new Barong Tagalog made out of pineapple fiber. 

The wedding was held at the Church of Our Lady of Remedies (Nuestra Senora de Remedios), which is also known as the Malate Church. Originally built in the late 1500's, it was used as a garrison by the British when they invaded Manila in the 1700's. It has been rebuilt several times including after being damaged by a typhoon and after the Second World War. 

Actually, the current church seems to be continually under a state of repair or renovation. I had first been to the church attending a wedding of a colleague more than a decade ago. It was also under renovation that time. Much later, I think the church was spared from the storm surge that inundated Roxas Boulevard and damaged many establishments in the area. Below are a couple of photos we took at the church that wasn't blurry.

Main altar of Malate Church
Close-up of the sanctuary behind the main altar and the stained glass window above it
Unfortunately, it was raining that day so I was not able to get a good photo of the church's exterior. However, I found I was able to take a photo of the church one time we had lunch at a restaurant in the area. My objective then was to get a photo of the bicycle lanes at the plaza in front of the church but I managed to get what I thought was a good shot of the church.

Exterior of the Malate Church showing part of the plaza in front of the church.
-

No comments: