Thursday, February 25, 2016

Comfort food: minatamis na saging na saba

It's my birthday today so I thought it appropriate to feature something I consider comfort food. For one it is among those that my mother made in her kitchen when my siblings and I were kids. It's a simple treat you can have for dessert or even merienda. It is made of a variety of banana that we call saba. This variety is typically used for cooking like for pochero and the very popular banana cue (skewered saba fried or grilled usually sprinkled or bathed with caramelized sugar) and turon (fried saba wrapped in dimsum wrapper that's also used for lumpia).

My mother's version of minatamis na saging na saba is basically the banana cooked (boiled) with vanilla and muscovado sugar syrup as topping or as viscous sabaw (soup). The version we had as kids were without sago (tapioca pearls) but Mama improvised a bit as my niece and nephew only ate this when it had sago. I like this version though I'd pick the original one if my mother were to make a batch for me.

Minatamis na saging na saba with sago right out of the fridge


-

No comments: