Monday, January 29, 2018

Mondia automatic watch

I conclude January with another watch feature. Mondia was a Swiss brand and currently an Italian company that sources movements from Switzerland as well as Japan. I got this from my favorite Visayan seller of vintage watches. I'm not sure what year this was produced as internet research has not revealed this to me. I assume though that this is more contemporary and therefore, Italian.

The watch face reminded me of the big TW Steel watches. The red tip of the second hand adds a bit of flair or elegance depending on how you see it.
This one had a date feature.
There's something about the material of the watch face that makes it blue when seen from another angle.
Here's a view of the crown with the Mondia logo and the obvious chip.
The watch had a see-through back that showcased the Swiss automatic movement. I haven't determined what specific movement this is based on the internet research I have done so far but it is likely to be an ETA with perhaps 38 to 42-hour capacity running on at least 21,600 bph.
The watch viewed from another angle shows a very likeable design. The hands and hour markers retained their luminosity.
The leather strap on this watch is of very good quality. Lugs is at 20mm so I have lots of options in case I want to change it.
The watch was out of commission for some time as the movement broke after I shook it to jumpstart the watch. I took it to a trusted watch repair shop near our place where the repairman was able to fix the movement. I had the watch overhauled and cleaned and my repair guy found some screws to be missing or inappropriate for the movement. Apparently, the previous owner or whoever last checked the movement tinkered with it and wasn't able to bring the movement back the right way. The watch is currently working well, keeping time, and I have been comparing it to reliable clocks for accuracy.

Here is another photo of the watch - a wrist shot that I took this evening and which shows the blue hue on the face that I was able to capture with the lighting in our living room.



-

No comments: