Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Abaca face masks

When I was acquiring my woven face masks from the Cordilleras, I read about the abaca masks manufactured in Mindanao with assistance from the Department of Science and Technology (DOST). It was not yet available in commercial quantities so I had to wait to get some for our household. The opportunity came when I was browsing for new reusable, washable face masks. We liked these more than the typical disposable ones because we wanted to reduce waste. So when I found that there were abaca masks available in our area (there's a reseller nearby), I decided to get a few.

The mask in its packaging when it was delivered

Information about the mask and how to properly wear it; including how to adjust the elastic band ear loop.

Care instructions for the mask, which is washable. The care guide says it is good for up to 10 washings.
The abaca fiber material is in the front and to me had a leather feel about it.
The inside part of the mask has a fabric lining, which is stitched well to the abaca outer part. I guess this component along with the garters need to be separated from the abaca before its disposal.
 
The mask fits very well. It actually looks like a leather mask. The photos don't do any justice to what the mask looks like up close.


There are two sizes available for this mask - standard and regular. The regular size is also for adults but less than an inch smaller than the standard size. I have also washed our masks following the care instructions. It is now my preferred mask for when I have to go out or to the office. I hope they continue to make these masks and more people start using them. Already, we've seen a lot of disposable masks in the garbage or thrown anywhere. There are certainly implications on waste that we need to address with everyone obliged to wear masks. Then there are also plastic wastes coming from face shields, which are also considered as disposable. These masks also represent livelihood for people making them so we should support these local initiatives using indigenous materials like abaca for such applications as face masks.

-

No comments: