Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Vintage Seiko 6138-0030 "Kakume"

The opportunity came up for me to acquire another iconic vintage model from Seiko. There are many collectible chronographs from the company and I already have a "True Pogue", a UFO, and several speedtimers. I had looked for bullheads and JPS models but among the most elusive were Kakume models. So when the opportunity came up again to acquire one that isn't too expensive or overpriced, I quickly pounced on it. This model is an international release and not a Japan Domestic Model (JDM).

The chronograph also has day and date complications. The day wheel is in English and Spanish. I set mine for the Spanish days, which we also use in Filipino. Indicated in the photo is the Spanish for Wednesday - Miercoles.

Side view showing the correct crown and buttons. The chronograph functions well and resets to zero.

The other side view. Note that the bezel insert has been replaced. The glass is also not original but a sapphire crystal replacement. While the originals are more desirable and preferred by many, I don't mind mine being "upgraded".

Case back showing the watch model and serial number. The serial indicates the watch to have been manufacture in July 1977.

Close-up of the dial, which is original.

Close-up of the lower part of the dial showing the dial number

An even closer look at the model number. This is the right part of the dial and the second part of the model number '0050T'. This is the dial number for the international model of the watch. The Japan Domestic Models (JDM) have '0040T', '0044T' or '0045T' on the dial.

The first part of the model number indicates the movement caliber '6138'.

"Unboxing" or unwrapping showed a unique case for the watch.

My first look at the watch after I removed the bubble wrap

Wrist shot the first time I wore the watch. The watch came with a rather odd bracelet. This was definitely not the original one though the clasp looked original. It fit well but I wasn't comfortable wearing the bracelet.

I changed the bracelet to a more appropriate one. This is an aftermarket bracelet that's for the Kakume.

The watch is powered by a Cal. 6138B that seems to be running very well as I have used this watch quite regularly, bringing it into my regular rotation immediately. The watch beats at 21,600 A/h and has a potential power reserve of 45h. This one's definitely a keeper in the collection.

-

No comments: