Monday, November 23, 2020

Battle of the peanut chocolate sweets

Looking for Choc Nut at the supermarket, I came across several "pretenders" to the original peanut chocolate sweets that has become a popular sweet, even snack, the Philippines. Choc Nut has reached a status that makes it one of the popular pasalubong (souvenir/gift) for relatives and friends for when you go abroad. And so I ended up buying not just a pack of Choc Nut but one each of its competitors.

Choc Nut, Hany and Choc-O-Star
 
ChocoMani and Barnuts

Detailed information on Choc Nut including nutrition facts, ingredients and the manufacturer

Nutrition facts, ingredients and manufacturer for Hany - note that the manufacturer is practically the same as Choc Nut's.

Detailed information for Choc O Star, which is made in Cainta, Rizal

Detailed information on Choco Mani, which is also made in Imus, Cavite like Choc Nut and Hany

Detailed information about Barnuts, which is made in Caloocan City

Among those we have opened and tasted, we found that Hany seemed to be sweeter, more sugary than Choc Nut. Given that the two are produced by the same company, one wonders if this is deliberate. Barnuts it seems tasted and had a texture like the Choc-Nut of old, particularly the regular sized ones. Note that the pack I purchased was of the larger sized Choc-Nut, and I am not sure they are still selling the ones that were half the size of the ones we ate. I have yet to open the packs of Choc-O-Star and Choco Mani. And so I would have to defer my opinion about them in a later article (to be continued).

Of course, the opinions above are based on the packs I purchased that includes their conditions at the time of purchase, opening and eating. I will not pretend to be too knowledgeable about the intricacies of peanut chocolate but state what my taste buds experienced.

-

No comments: