Saturday, November 21, 2020

On chess: my "home board"

 If there is a home court concept in basketball, I like to think that I have a "home board"

My "home board" is this elegant tournament size wooden board with the really nice chess pieces including the knights that I thought compared well with the ones produced in the Philippines.

I still have the original box and cloth wrap for the board.

The price of this chess set when I bought it in 1997 was 9,600 yen. With the 5% tax, the total amount I paid for it was 10,080 yen. That was roughly 4,500 pesos at the time. While the yen is basically stable inflation-wise. This is more than double its peso equivalent now.

From what I recall, I have had only 2 other chess sets before (not counting the Kleine set my father and cousins played on before). One was a tournament size set that Tatay got for me likely from National Book Store when I was in high school. This was the one with the white and green board, and I remember the pawns were not exactly the same sizes. A few pawns seemed emaciated while the rooks seem too fat. I later got myself a nice narra chess set when I was already working. That set was the one we played on at the office where it turned out we had many strong players from our admin staff. I left that set with them when I went to study abroad. I think it's still there somewhere, perhaps at our office garage.

More on chess soon!

-

No comments: