Sunday, October 17, 2021

Vintage Helvetia with sub-dial and H64 movement

I've had a couple of Helvetia watches before. I only featured one in this blog. I've parted with both, with the other very quickly as I didn't like what it looked like when I finally got it. That one sold quickly as it featured a signed crown and signed Helvetia movement, and was perhaps attractive to those collecting vintage watches. The aesthetics just wasn't okay with me. Here is something that suited me from the dial to the fancy lugs.

The watch features raise hour markers and dauphine hands. There are no day or date complications but there is a second sub-dial.

Side view showing the crown. This is supposed to be original but it is unsigned.

 
Case back with what appears as a serial number but then there are only three numbers

The other side view showing scratches on the lugs

Inside the watch is a signed Cal. H64 movement. This is one of Helvetia's in-house movements that run at 18,000 beats per hour with a potential power reserve of 47h when fully wound. The movement also dates the watch to the 1950s when this caliber was produced by the company.

 
The watch is gold-plated. The hallmark may be seen at the top of the body above 12 o'clock.

Close-up of the dial

A wrist shot with this elegant dress watch

 

I've timed the watch on several occasions and it runs 46 hours on average when fully wound. Not bad for a watch from the 1950s. I also recently changed the strap as the faux leather straps the watch came with were already falling apart. This one looks to be a keeper for now and I've worn in on weekends so far.

For those interested, here is a link to the Helvetia website for stuff like historical notes: https://www.helvetiahistory.co.uk/

-

No comments: