Tuesday, November 2, 2021

A vintage rosary - a family heirloom

When you think about items that are handed over from one generation to another, you are more likely to think about jewelry including rings, bracelets, necklaces and even watches. I keep a rosary from my mother as something with tremendous sentimental value. It is the rosary that my father used whenever we prayed at home including the novenas at certain times of the year including Octobers, which is the month of the rosary. My parents gave this to me prior to my going overseas to study in the 1990s. I have kept it ever since and still use it whenever I pray the rosary at home. I have a couple of other rosaries I also use alternately including one the wife brought back from a trip to Rome.

The rosary is originally my mother's and Mama got this when she was still single so its definitely older than me.

Connecting the links is this medallion with Our Lady with the Child Jesus on the back

There's another medallion attached to the main link with the image of Our Lady of Perpetual Help at the front.

Front of the medallion with an image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

Image of Pope Paul VI - this dates the rosary to sometime between 1963 to 1978. He visited the Philippines in 1970 though so I assume the rosary was acquired sometime then; making this at least 50 years old.

The cross has been damaged as I usually had the rosary in my pocket wherever I went when I was abroad. That includes my 35-day stay in Tokyo, 3-year stay in Yokohama, 3 months and another 1.5 months in Saitama.

Some links had to be repaired or replaced. Tatay did so using copper wire.

I have other religious items that I have a sentimental attachment to. These include items I got when I was staying in Japan in the 1990s. Maybe I should also document these and post it here for memory.

-

No comments: