Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Comfort food - Victorias Sardines

I stumbled upon a jar of sardines at a convenience store at a nearby gas station. I immediately grabbed the last remaining jar as I recognized it to be of a familiar brand - Victorias. Victorias Sardines is not just familiar to me. I am very fond of it and have happy memories of the cans I consumed while studying in Japan



It took some time but I found a store in the Ameyoko shopping street between JR Okachimachi and JR Ueno Stations in Tokyo that sold Victorias sardines. Prior to that, I had to bring the legal limit of sardine cans whenever I had the chance to come home for vacation. Other times, my father sent me a few cans through his engineers he sent to Tokyo for training. This latter mode was about twice a year and I happily served as tourist guide to the first timers in return for the valuable food items they brought to me. I also made sure they find the nice stores where they could get souvenirs for their loved ones back home without breaking their wallets.

-

No comments: