Thursday, November 25, 2021

On collecting watches

I probably have never been as passionate about collecting something since my dabbling in philately (stamp collection) when I was in high school. I was also an amateur coin collector then. Both collections started when Tatay returned abroad from a couple of trips - one from Tokyo, Japan and another from Surabaya, Indonesia.

I want to share one article that inspires amateur collectors like me:

Wind, E. (2014) Your Complete Guide To The Watches Of United States Presidents, https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/personal-timepieces-every-united-states-president-ever

The original article came out in 2014 but has been updated since. While I don't have the resources to try and collect these and similar time pieces (those Rolexes and Omegas are prohibitively priced), I do have my own preferences and taste for the watches I can get my hands on. Luckily, I have been able to acquire a couple of Vulcain Crickets including a model similar to one gifted to a US President back in the 1950s/60s. I am happy with that thought at least. Here are a couple of boxes showing part of my collection:

Some of the watches in my collection: The black case contains a couple of Ricoh divers, three Seiko chronographs, a Seiko AGS Landmaster, a Glashutte spezimatic, and an Oberon digital. The red case contains mostly Seikos - SKX399, SKX401, Monaco, 6106 diver, Pogue, and a couple of bullheads, and a Swatch chronograph diver that was my first dive watch.

 

I actually made a simple database of my watches but have not been able to update this lately. The database includes not just the brand and model but the technical specs, acquisition price and the approximate value of each watch. The vintage chronographs are the ones that seem to appreciate over time. I've documented most of my collection in this blog so I won't be mentioning the more special pieces here.

-

No comments: