Monday, November 1, 2021

Lumpia wrapper making

We begin the month of November with a video. Yes, I took this video one time I was at the public market to get our seafood, vegetable and fruit supplies for the week. As I passed by to join my companion who was getting some buko (coconut) water, I saw a lumpia wrapper maker and took the video below to show how the wrapper is made.

 Here are some photos I took after the video:

There are two flat metal plates where the dough is poured to make lumpia wrappers. Since the area is a cubicle at a relatively cramped part of the market, the electric fan provides the ventilation. I can imagine it can get really hot here during the day. [It was cooler at the time I took the video and photos as I go to the market at 5:30AM.]

The wrappers are grouped in 10s. 10 pieces are priced at 9 pesos. I got 20 pieces for the lumpia we were planning to have for Sunday lunch.

The dough is in a large pot and cloth is used to get just enough dough to lay out on the two plates. I assume it takes some experience to estimate how much dough you need to have 'absorbed' by the cloth. Otherwise, there would be a lot of wasted dough.

You can request for different sizes of wrappers. The small and medium size wrappers (smaller than what is in the photos) are what are usually used for lumpia. The ones in the photos are large size wrappers that you can also use for lumpia but is commonly used for turon or saba bananas wrapped and fried, a popular snack (merienda) in the Philippines. The largest size they make, I was told, was XL, which are also used for turon. The XL size meant only 3 wrappers can be laid out on each of the plates. 

The wrappers did not disappoint. We had them for lumpia and turon. They were the crispy kind when fried the right way (deep fry). Add this guy to my suking (favorite) vendors at the Antipolo Public Market.

-

No comments: