Sunday, June 4, 2023

Memories of UPCAT 1987

The University of the Philippines is holding its College Admission Test this year after 3 years of only basing college admissions on grades submissions. The UPCAT was not held in 2020, 2021 and 2022 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The results produced some controversies as many science high school graduates did not fare as well as the previous years when the UPCAT was held. That is, many were not able to get admitted to their first and even second choice programs at UP. This was apparently due to admissions being based mainly on grades and the grades of science and exclusive high school students were likely regarded as the same as what were perceived as lesser schools. The former students generally performed very well in the UPCAT and made of for whatever shortcomings they had for their grades.

Students who are taking the UPCAT enter Melchor Hall, one of the test venues in the UP Diliman campus. [Photo courtesy of a good friend and colleague who took his son, my God son or inaanak to take the UPCAT yesterday]

I took the UPCAT in what used to be the UP Integrated School building in what is now the UP Town Center. I still went to Melchor Hall afterwards to meet up with my buddy John, who took the exam there. He eventually went to Ateneo where he graduated with a degree in Computer Science. I was the one who found myself in Melchor Hall, where I spent much of my undergraduate years taking Civil Engineering. My first choice was actually Chemical Engineering; inspired by my father's profession. I think I performed well in the UPCAT as both were quota courses and landing in my second choice meant my scores (and high school grades) were more than enough for me to pursue a career in engineering. The rest, of course, is history. :)

-

No comments: