Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Certina 288 Certi-date automatic vintage watch

My collection of Swatch group watches includes this automatic from Certina. The brand has many interesting current models I've seen in shops including chronographs that I've inspected up close (was really curious about them). I was tempted to get a new one but I was also aware that there are really good vintage Certinas out there so I waited for the opportunity to get one. As luck would have it, I got this 288 with a black dial, date feature and a distinctive blue second hand.

The watch head after I removed the leather strap it came with
This is what appears to be the serial numbers that survived what also appears as a buffed/polished back
Side view showing the signed crown
The watch after I fitted it with a new leather strap
The watch on my wrist the first time I used it
The movement is a cal. 25-681 running at 28,000 bph with an original reserve of 42 hours
I only wear the watch on some occasions as it is more a casual watch for me. I am also thinking about letting go of this watch if the conditions (i.e., price) are right. I already asked friends to post it in their online shop to see if someone's willing to pay for it. Apparently, there isn't much appreciation for this watch. Here's what I've found on the internet about this watch: Certina 288 - The high-beat rarity

I like the watch design and probably will keep it for a while...
-

No comments: