Sunday, February 24, 2019

Vintage Jaeger Le Coultre Futurematic

Here's an example where the opportunity presented itself and I grabbed it without hesitation. Those were the circumstances for my finally acquiring this very interesting vintage watch from the 1950s with an in-house Cal. 497 bumper automatic movement. It is a Jaeger LeCoultre Futurematic, one of the most sophisticated self-winding (i.e., automatic) watches made from that time and perhaps even to the present.

Elegant dial on this watch showing the power reserve indicator and a sub-second dial, and bull head lugs
Side view showing there's no crown where there is usually in other watches
The other side view also showing no crown here, too
The watch's back with the crown cleverly located here - one of the innovations for this watch model
Close-up of the flat crown located at the back whose function is only for adjusting the time.
The watch the first time I wore it on my wrist
It is an everyday watch for me but because I also have to care for it (its more than 60 years old), I wear it on special occasions or whenever I want to. :)

The movement runs at 18,000 bph with an original power reserve of 40h. It runs well and keeps time. Not bad for a luxury watch produced sometime between 1951-1958. I will have to bring it for maintenance soon but I'm bracing myself for the cost considering these watches with their in-house movements cannot be brought for routine maintenance just anywhere including our "suking" watchsmith whom I entrust with other watches in my collection. I guess that's a price I have to pay for this not so inexpensive hobby.
-

No comments: