Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Zenith vintage watch with Cal. 106-50 movement

Here is another watch that sort of "fell unto my lap". It is a vintage Zenith from the 1950s. Zenith is a well known brand that survived the quartz "crisis" of the 1970s. This looked like a pretty beat up watch and perhaps that's why it was under the radar and those who initially took interest in it didn't pursue it.

I like simple watch faces. This one doesn't have any day or date complications but has a sweep second hand instead of a sub-dial.
Side view showing the crown and the lugs
The other side view
Case back showing the serial number
Here's a wrist shot after I had the leather straps changed.
Inside the case's back cover and the movement
The Zenith Cal. 106-50 runs at 18,000 bph and had an original power reserve of 38h.
 
The watch runs well and I have not had it serviced since I acquired last year. I will probably have it serviced soon but I am enjoying it for now. It gains little time (seconds?) in a day and so is reliable to me. Its currently part of my weekly rotation and is definitely a keeper among the current vintage watches in my collection.
 
[4/7/2021 - I unloaded this watch in late 2019. It wasn't having as much wrist time and a good offer was made for the watch as soon as I put it up for sale.]
-

No comments: