One of the things I did while I was in Japan was cook or prepare food. Breakfasts are usually oatmeal or a "silog" meal that consists of fried egg, rice and whatever I can substitute for tapa, hotdog or longganisa. Fortunately, there are many sausages and other cuts I could get from the local deli or the supermarket near my place. Sometimes, I am able to get some hotdogs from shops selling Filipino goods in Tokyo (Ueno/Okachimachi area) or Yokohama. Or hotdogs from a store selling imported goods in Yokohama. Once a year though, I could get hotdogs from the church bazaar as the Americans in our congregation are able to procure hotdogs and burgers from the commissary the US Naval Base in Yokosuka.
We usually grilled or fried hotdogs. I actually prefer the grilled ones and our American friends at the church bazaar in Yamate had this huge set-up for the burgers and hotdogs that were very popular then. A Japanese friend taught me an alternative way of cooking hotdogs. You first boil the hotdogs. Once practically cooked, you can put them in the oven toaster for the final touches including having the skin crispy as if it were fried.
![]() |
| After boiling the hotdogs, place them inside the over toaster |
-


No comments:
Post a Comment