Sunday, September 20, 2026

Musings on a Sunday evening - Ma Mon Luk's closure

I learned this morning that Ma Mon Luk, the old restaurant along Quezon Avenue that was famous (or to some, infamous) for their noodles. Mami as we commonly call the noodles with the soup is somewhat a comfort food to many people especially during the cold or wet seasons. "Masarap humigop ng sabaw at kumain ng mami pag tag-ulan." Sanitation and conditions of the interiors of the restaurant were cited in the various reports and write-ups circulating on the internet especially social media. There was even mention about the smell at the place. 

I wrote about Ma Mon Luk a while back after we had lunch there one time we were in the area. I shared photos and mentioned how dated the place looked like. I, the wife and my daughter certainly didn't notice anything pungent or repulsing about the place. Was it perhaps partly because in our travels, we've tried similar restos or eateries in other countries? The only comment by our daughter was that it wasn't airconditioned. She certainly enjoyed her food and we went home with full stomachs. We didn't get sick though we shared the tales about their food to our amused daughter.

Did they offend someone? Was there a case of food poisoning? Were some entitled person, some self styled influencer decide to throw their weight around? Hopefully, this is indeed a temporary closure and the owners treats this as a challenge to upgrade and make their restaurant better in terms of their interiors and even service. As for the food? I think it should stay the way it is and how people remember it to be. It certainly is not your regular noodle house like the ramen shops that now dot the city. You go there for sentimental if not heritage reasons. You go there for the regular food that the place transforms into something remarkable.

No comments: