Tuesday, February 1, 2022

A 1950s Cyma bumper automatic watch

The only Cyma in my collection is this bumper automatic from the 1950s. I acquired this from abroad (another pandemic acquisition) where I have found some trustworthy and dependable sellers. This was not an expensive acquisition as I also discovered vintage watches like this are usually overpriced here but more reasonably priced abroad even through auctions. Here are photos of my vintage Cyma.

The watch has a black dial with triangular hour markers except at 12 and 6 o'clock. The lumes are also visible for the hour markers. The lumes on the hands are already gone. There are no day or date complications.

Side view showing the crown

The other side view

 
 Close up of the dial

The watch back showing it to be polished with no marks or etches such as those typically showing the serial number or the characteristics of the watch.

I haven't opened the watch myself but got photos of it from the seller. Here's a photo of the signed movement and the inside of the watch cover.

The watch is powered by a Cyma Cal. 420KT that runs at 18,000 A/h with a potential reserve of 30h. I have not timed the watch but the 30h reserve is quite short relative to my other watches. The movement was produced by Cyma from 1947 to 1954. That

The routine wrist shot

I had the watch serviced recently as the movement seemed to have been stuck somehow. It's now part of my rotation though understandably cannot get as much wrist time as my more hardy watches that I use more regularly especially when I go to work in the office or in the field.

-

No comments: