Sunday, February 20, 2022

Watches and transportation

I have written about my Citizen Homer Second Setting watches, which have been the official watch of Japan National Railways and Japan Railways for their staff. This tie-up between watch companies and transportation goes a long way especially for railways. Watch companies like Mondaine, Ball, Breitling and Omega have long been associated with transportation whether it be road, rail, aviation or maritime. I have a few transport-related watches in my collection aside from my Citizens. A couple of years ago I unloaded my Mondaine railway watch that was a standard issue for Swiss Railways. I retained my Citizen Homer watches though I probably will part with one or two soon.

Here are a couple more I recently acquired, which I am very happy to include in my rotation. Both are Seiko watches with one an automatic and the other a quartz.

Seiko World Timer tie-up with All Nippon Airways (ANA) commemorating the Final Boeing 747 flights

A recent release from Seiko is the Hayabusa chronograph for JR's Hayabusa shinkansen

I will be posting about each watch soon. I have the complete set including the boxes. There's a new one coming out that commemorates JR's Dr. Yellow, an inspection/technical train for the maintenance of shinkansen tracks. That will come out sometime March or April of this year.

-

No comments: