Monday, February 28, 2022

Zodiac SST 36000 automatic watch

I close February with a featured vintage watch. My brother surprised me with a Zodiac SST 36000 automatic watch. The entire watch is gold-plated and that made for a literally heavy watch. It is a bit on the kitschy side as my first impression was that it was the kind of jewelry that overseas foreign workers (OFWs) from the Middle East would likely wear in the 1980s and 1990s. I would still wear it and keep it  simply because it was from my brother. Zodiac, of course, is a well-known brand and though already acquired by another company have many collectible vintage pieces.

The Zodiac SST 36000 features split day and date complications on a coffee dial.

Side view showing a well preserved watch head and a signed crown

The other side view showing the very good condition for a watch that is around 50 years old.

The bracelet is also gold plated including the clasp.

The entire watch is gold plated. This is indicated on the bracelet.

Case back also showing that the gold plating of the watch is not compromised. Indicated is the watch being water and shock resistant. It also has anti-magnetic features.

Close up of the signed crown

Close up of the dial showing the coffee dial and the day and date displays. The lumes on the hands have faded but the hands are in overall good condition with only slight indication of corrosion. The sweep of the second hand is very smooth.

Wrist shot the first time I wore the watch on my birthday
 

I have not opened the watch to see the movement but I did a quick research on the movement of this watch and inside it is a Zodiac Cal. 86. It runs at 36,000 A/h with a potential power reserve of 40h. The movement is said to be a collaboration of several watchmakers such as Doxa, Eberhard, Favre-Leuba, Girard-Perregaux, and Zodiac. The movement was made in the early 1970s, which places this watch around the time of my birth year.

-

No comments: