Monday, February 7, 2022

A vintage 1950s Citizen Phynox

Citizen watches appear to be in the shadows of Seiko, which is definitely the number one watchmaker from Japan. Citizen though is not a pushover, and has issued very desirable and collectible watches. I have a few of them in my collection. These include several Citizen Homer Second Setting watches that are the standard issue for Japan Railways staff, Citizen Phynox alarm watch, an assortment of Citizen divers watches, and this rare Citizen Phynox center second watch. This model and its variants were issued after World War 2 and features a different logo from the one the company now uses.

The watch features dauphine hour and minute hands, a baton second hand, and dagger-like hour markers. There are no day or date complications.

Side view showing the signed crown and the teardrop lugs

The other side view

Case back showing the watch to be 14k gold filled. The serial number is also indicated as well as the model type (center second).

Photo of the movement, which is manually wound

Close-up of the movement

Another photo showing-off the linen dial

Wrist shot

I have timed the watch and it averages 46.5 hours when fully wound. Again, that's not bad for an old watch. I have not had this serviced so I'm wary that it might get stuck sometime. I am apprehensive to go to my watch guy given the current surge in Covid-19 cases.

I also have a Citizen Leopard that I will write about soon. That model line was supposed to be the high-beat equivalent of Seiko's King Seiko models and produced some excellent caliber movements beating at 28,800 A/h and 36,000 A/h.

-

No comments: