Saturday, February 26, 2022

Mug shots: A Mug from Chiang Mai, Thailand

One mug that has much sentimental value is this last, remaining mug from our series of trips to Bangkok in the early 2000s.

The mug has somewhat unusual bumps

The mug and others like it featured a black bird perched on what appears like a water vessel.

The black bird is also featured on the other side of the mug. I have read very little about what this black bird was all about. It is likely not a crow as this bird is usually associated with bad luck among other negative things. There are many other black birds that may have been the inspiration for this. Perhaps I will ask my Thai friends what bird this is.

Mug handle

There is nothing printed or inscribed at the bottom of the mug

The mug on my work desk - I decided to take it and use the mug as a pen and pencil holder.

We got this mug at Chatuchak in Bangkok along with 3 other mugs. Those three were broken and were thrown away without my knowledge (whoever broke them probably thought I was going to be angry so they just made them disappear rather than be explaining what happened). I was a bit upset when I found out about this because all the mugs were still 'in use' at the time and I thought I could put them back and recycle them for other uses such as pencil or pen holders.

-

No comments: