Friday, February 25, 2022

A complete vintage Seiko 6138-7000 'Slide rule'

Some call it the "calculator" but I prefer the name "slide rule" to refer to the Seiko 6138-7000 chronograph. I deliberately included the adjective 'complete' in the title of this post as this watch has all the parts including the hard to find cursor. I previously wrote about a Seiko slide rule I acquired in 2021. That lacked the cursor and was a little more beat up than the one I more recently acquired.

The 6138-7000 features two chronograph registers/sub-dials, day and date complications, rotating outer bezel and a cursor fitted around the crystal.

Side view showing the crown and chronograph buttons
 
The other side view

The back shows the model and serial numbers. The serial number indicates this watch to be older than my other slide rule - July 1974.

Close-up of the dial and bezel

Close-up of the relatively pristine dial and hands

Lume shot for the watch. The watch has not been "re-lumed" so this is a good thing considering this is a 48-year old watch.

Wrist shot

My two 6138-7000 chronographs.

Here's my first wrist shot of 2022.

This is a big watch and perhaps among the biggest in my collection. The biggest might be the vintage Molnja that was originally a pocket-watch. This Seiko chronograph is also a grail piece for me, very rare, and in this condition can easily be in the 1,500 to 2,000 USD price range.

-

No comments: