Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Ahon 300m diver - microbrand watch

I got over my hang-up on microbrands and decided to acquire a diver this time. I can identify with the brand "Ahon" as it evokes getting out of the water - an allusion to rising/getting out of trouble or a problematic state. This relates to "umahon sa kahirapan" (rising out of poverty). So yes, I think its a nice brand name that can also simply mean getting out of the water after a swim. :)

The Ahon has a black dial and no day or date complications.

Side view showing the signed crown that can be screwed down for water resistance.

The other side view

The case back shows an etched butanding (whale shark) and diver.

Another view of the case back - inside is an NH38 movement produced by Seiko for non-Seiko brand watches. This is an automatic movement that runs at 21,600 A/h with a potential reserve of 41h. It also has a hacking feature; meaning the second hand stops when you pull the crown to set the time.

A wrist shot after I changed the strap. It came with three - a brown leather nato, a single pass fabric nato and a stainless steel mesh bracelet. I have some spare leather straps and this minimalist was perfect for this diver.

The hands and hour indices are luminous. Here's a sample lume shot in broad daylight (actually in the office).

Super Luminova glows bright in the dark

The watch looked good with a stainless steel bracelet like maybe an oyster, jubilee or president. I tried something like those and though it wasn't a perfect fit, I could see that this may be suitable for this diver especially if I will take for a swim.

The watch has a 300m rating but I have not yet used it for swimming, snorkelling or diving (I don't dive.).  I do use it more frequently than my other watches especially in the afternoons when we walk our dogs and I water the plants in our garden. It is a nice acquisition that is a keeper for now.

-

No comments: